Many of us think that cleaning up around our homes is, for a lack of a better word, a chore. But often many of us don’t have a choice in the matter as the alternative would be a messy and disgusting home. Even the grossest areas, which may not have to be cleaned as often as the common rooms, will eventually require your attention.
The same can be said for your septic tank — although this is a part of your property that you rarely think about, it is necessary to have a professional perform a septic tank cleaning for your home in Fauquier VA every couple of years.
Protect Your System with A Septic Tank Cleaning From Our Experts in Fauquier VA
Your septic tank is responsible for taking care of the first step in your property’s wastewater treatment process. Thus, it’s necessary to take good care of your system with a regular septic tank cleaning for your home in Fauquier VA.
It doesn’t matter how well your septic tank is designed, operated, or built, if there’s a ton of thickened sludge in the unit, it will eventually meet its demise. This will cause sewage to back up into your home and other solids may overflow and render your drain field useless. If this occurs, a new drain field may be the least of your worries; you may have to set aside more cash towards the purchase and installation of a new septic tank.
To avoid this situation, it is recommended that your septic tank is properly maintained in order to prevent system and component failure. And, as an added bonus, regular septic tank cleaning services in Fauquier VA can ensure the optional operation of your unit for decades to come.
The Septic Tank Cleaning Process for Your Home in Fauquier VA
Although doing a septic tank cleaning on your own isn’t particularly hard, it requires attention to detail and the following of strict procedural standards to ensure that it’s done properly. You may think you are saving money by taking on this challenge on your own, but you may be taking on more than you can handle. Although you may not want to shell out the money for the septic tank cleaning in Fauquier, VA, there is no room for mistakes when you undertake this task.
To give you a better idea of what this process entails, check out some of the steps that our certified, licensed, and well-trained technicians follow to get the job done right when performing a typical septic tank cleaning in Fauquier VA.
The first thing that we do is visually inspect the septic tanks from both the inside and the outside of the unit. We will also:
- Check the tank’s drainage points and connectors
- Add dye to the water to check for any leaks
- Check the baffles and lids for signs of wear
- Remove the water, sludge, and solid material from the bottom of the tank
- If the above method isn’t effective, we use a vibration removal device to loosen the layers of solid material
- If neither method works, we will manually remove the contamination from the tanks
- Use our state of the art vacuum truck to pump out the accumulated sludge
- Clean the exterior of the tank
- Collect the wash water runoff is large bins that are taken to sewage reservoirs
It’s also important to note that the septic tank cleaning process in Fauquier VA may vary based on the type of the tank that is installed at your property. Also, worthy of mention is the fact that small tanks will need inspection more often than larger tanks.
But, the basic rule of thumb states that these helpful units should be inspected at least once every 1-3 years. This will make sure that you will be able to take care of any small septic tank issues before they turn into damaging (and expensive) events.
Maintaining Your Septic System
Failing to ensure the proper operation of your septic tank system can have damaging (to your property, health, and the environment) consequence. Plus, the government tends to frown on this type of behavior, which can lead to penalties and fees being levied against you.
To ensure that everything is in tip-top shape, check out the following considerations that you can do yourself to keep the above issues at bay:
- Perform a Sludge Inspection: This should be down once every two or so years and will help give you an accurate idea of the sludge level in your tank. Simply, use a towel (attached to a reasonably long piece of lumber) and lower it into the tank until it reaches the bottom.
Although the smell may be unbearable, hold the stick there for a few minutes to get an accurate reading. If the discolored portion of the towel is over 24 inches long, then it's time to request a septic tank cleaning for your property in Fauquier VA. Additional signs that it may be time for professional intervention include unusual odors around drains, slow running toilets, and your tank hasn't been inspected in about 5 years.
- Pumping: No matter how you slice it, there's no substitute for maintenance pumping. You may think that you can use a commercial sludge qualifier to reduce the problem, but the truth is, this may make the issue worse.
This is because liquefied sludge will enter the drain field and increases the chances of your surface and groundwater becoming contaminated. It is recommended that property owners pump their septic tanks every 3-5 years but, the exact time varies based on the amount of water that is used on the property.
- Contact the professionals at SES Mid-Atlantic: Employing the services of licensed septic tank cleaning experts in Fauquier VA is your best option, especially if your sludge level is over 33% of the tank's volume.
We have been providing septic system services to the residents of the Washington DC and Northern Virginia area for almost 20 years and since then have built a reputation that is grounded in quality workmanship, superior customer service, and competitive prices.
- Be careful what you flush down the drain: While it may be easy to use the toilet to get rid of items we no longer need ( i.e. feminine hygiene products, adhesive bandages, paint, solvents, motor oil, cigarette butts, facial tissues, etc. disposing these non-biodegradable products in such a way can cause major problems in your septic system
- Stay away from drain cleaners, bleach, and other chemicals: Dumping these and other harsh chemicals down your drainage system will harm the helpful bacteria that reside in your tank.
These bacteria are responsible for creating the anaerobic environment that is needed to break down the solid waste in your tank. Long-term use of antibiotics and other medications may also be detrimental to the health of these important bacteria.
- Minimize water use: Frequent water use is one of the more common reasons that septic tanks fail. Thus, property owners must do everything in their power (repair all leaky toilets and faucets quickly, using low flow fixtures on shower heads and faucets, spreading laundry throughout the week, etc.) to keep water usage at a minimum
If you don’t take proper care of your septic system, not only may you have to deal with expensive repairs, you are also putting your soil and water at risk of becoming contaminated by sewage. There’s no better way to ensure the longevity and smooth operation of your septic system than with regular septic tank cleaning and maintenance.
And if you are in the Fauquier area, you can’t go wrong by using the services of our professional cleaners at SES Mid-Atlantic.
We will get the job done quickly and efficiently while adhering to the strict standards set forth by the Environmental Protection Agency as well as all state and local codes. In fact, we are one of only three businesses in the area that are licensed as a Responsible Management Entities, which means that we adhere to the strict EPA guidelines.
Add to this mix a reputation for quality and competitive prices, and it’s easy to see why we are the number one choice for septic tank cleaning in Fauquier, VA.